Join now - be part of our community!

The Nvidia G84m / G86m defective chip issue - How much longer will your Vaio live?

neya
Visitor

The Nvidia G84m / G86m defective chip issue - How much longer will your Vaio live?

Greetings to one and all. This is my first post here.I currently own an FZ-21s and it was doing GREAT until a few days back when I realized that the system was heating up way over its limits. Its been about 27 months since my purchase and I thought this was completely normal. I did get those horizontal lines and splatters all over my screen, but only occasionally. I decided to do a simple Google search and I found that this was something VERY,VERY serious.

Nervous, I called up Sony and asked them If something could be done. I was told that my motherboard had a three year warranty and it would be replaced at no cost. I felt quite happy. But after reading a few articles on the web, my happiness was short-lived. I came to know that the replacement motherboard is only for the sake of elongating the GPU's life beyond the Warranty period. Technically, this is an Engineering flaw and nothing much can be done except to see your Laptop die at its own pace INFRONT of your VERY OWN eyes. I felt cheated. I paid 900£ for my beautiful Vaio and now it won't even last for another year or two!

NO.This is NOT Sony's fault at ALL. Its purely Nvidia's. They used some incompatible substrates in the GPU's manufacturing. Now the design of the GPU itself has been proved to be an inferior one and nothing much can be done. If they re-design the GPU, they would have to re-design the motherboard of our Vaio's too, which isn't practical. So from what I heard, what they're doing now is just replacing the material (dye) responsible for the GPU failure with a better, good quality one from HITACHI. Sounds great, but it doesn't matter much when it comes to the GPU's life. This change only prolongs the time taken by the GPU to die. It doesn't cure anything.

If you've already got a replacement from Sony, well, please do tell me if you're facing the same over-heating issue again.

0 REPLIES 0