Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 7 Upgrade HELP!!!!!

jimmysx
Visitor

Windows 7 Upgrade HELP!!!!!

Hi there,

I've almost accomplished the mission! Due to an error in the past, my harddrive doesn't contain the original partitions anymore.
I've ordered the official Vaio W7 upgrade. I have almost everything up and running except for a few things.

Where can I find the drivers for the built-in CF reader???
And which program defines the eject, volume and play buttons???

Oh...I have a Vaio AW21S

Due to the fact that I can't use the search, I had to post this 😞

Thanks in advance guys!

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If the Windows 7 drivers are not listed here on your support page: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-AW21S_B

you will need to use the original Vista drivers which you can get by clicking on the 'Originally Installed' Tab.

Have you got SFEP driver reinstalled?

:thinking:

jimmysx
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo!!!

But unfortunately the descriptions are not that clear. I've found a lot of drivers yet, but still the ones I mentioned are missing.
Don't know how to install the SFEP driver though....There's no setup.exe there so where do I copy the SFEP.sys file to?

Thanks again for your reply so far!

GRtz Jimmy

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jimmy,

First check in device manager under 'Human Interface Devices' for the Sony Firmware Extension Parser driver. If its already there then it is already installed and you can carry on installing the others utilities in order.

1. If it is not there open device manager and check for devices that Windows 7 did not automatically install. Look for one either called 'Unknown Device' or something like 'Intel LPC Device' with a yellow exclamation mark next to it.
2. If you find this then right click the device and choose 'Properties' and then find the 'Details' tab.
3. In the drop down box one of the items will be Hardware ID.
4. Choose this option and make sure that the hardware ID is SNY5001. Only if this ID matches you can now click the 'Drivers' tab and click to 'Install Driver' as normal.
5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
7. Select Have Disk....
8. Select Browse....
9. Browse to your back-up driver .inf file. (\\SFEP\SFEP.INF)
10. Next ..........
11. If you get a warning screen, select "Install Anyway".
12. Close & Re-Boot
13. If it works, pour yourself a big drink!
14. Install the other drivers in order.

Incidentally if you find a hardware ID SNY6001 you need to install the SPIC driver in the same way.

jimmysx
Visitor

And again a very BIG thank you! I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out!

jimmysx
Visitor

Well I'm drying out right 'cause it still doesn't work....
The SFEP driver was already installed with the correct HWID you mentioned, but I'm still not able to acces my built-in CF reader 😞
I'm a photographer so the CF-reader is pretty important to me.

It just won't show up in the Explorer window 😞
Memorystick and SD work flawless, but unfortunately I don't use these formats :wink:

So please Oh Wise Vaio God, share some more of your endless wisdom!!!! :smileygrin:

jimmysx
Visitor

So I did some research on my wife's laptop(same Vaio only with Vista) and I found under devicemanager>Disk drives> the JMCR device. That one is missing on my laptop and I have no idea how to make W7 to see the drive? Also the driver is not listed either in the original, update and W7 pages.

So if someone can point me to the point on how to make the JMCR CF device visible I would be more then grateful!

jimmysx
Visitor

Bump up!!!

jimmysx
Visitor

Another bump!