Join now - be part of our community!

Alpha A35 Mirror Replacement?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
TheStig3566
Visitor

Alpha A35 Mirror Replacement?

Hi all.

I've somehow managed to get 2 scratches on the Mirror on my A35 and need to get a replacement. Normally the marks don't show up on photos but I'd still like a replacement mirror for peace of mind, the problem is nowhere seems to sell replacement mirrors even though I've seen videos of people replacing them. So if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.de_DE.title
Jules74
Visitor

Hi TheStig3566,

the translucent mirrors of A33, A35, A55 are the same. I did some resereach on the web and it looks like this is the spare part number: A1789528A. (But please get that confirmed before ordering)

In addition or as an alternative to Nedis, you could also contact a repair centre to find out, if you can purchase it through them or how much it would cost to get it replaced by the repair centre:

http://www.bss-online.co.uk/repairs_alpha.php

As far as I know a damaged translucent mirrior will not be covered by warranty. As this part of the camera is very sensitive against finger prints and scratches, maybe it is better to get it replaced professionally, before scratching/touching a brand new one by trying to put it in...

As long as your autofocus is not acting up because of the scratches, you will be fine. You will not see markes on the photos caused by scratches, but you may have a tiny bit of loss of light. This is negligible and will be compesated by the metering system of the camera and you will not notice it.

All the best!

Jules

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi TheStig3566,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Not sure if they'll stock the mirror but it may be worth giving Sony's dedicated spare parts provider Nedis a call..

TheStig3566
Visitor

Hi Thalamus thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile: I'll give Nedis a call in the week and ask, another thought would the Mirror from an A33/55/65 etc still fit?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi TheStig3566,

I'm not sure if the mirrors are interchangable with other models, but hopefully Nedis will be able to help, if not let me know I will try to find an answer for you..:smileyhappy:

Jules74
Visitor

Hi TheStig3566,

the translucent mirrors of A33, A35, A55 are the same. I did some resereach on the web and it looks like this is the spare part number: A1789528A. (But please get that confirmed before ordering)

In addition or as an alternative to Nedis, you could also contact a repair centre to find out, if you can purchase it through them or how much it would cost to get it replaced by the repair centre:

http://www.bss-online.co.uk/repairs_alpha.php

As far as I know a damaged translucent mirrior will not be covered by warranty. As this part of the camera is very sensitive against finger prints and scratches, maybe it is better to get it replaced professionally, before scratching/touching a brand new one by trying to put it in...

As long as your autofocus is not acting up because of the scratches, you will be fine. You will not see markes on the photos caused by scratches, but you may have a tiny bit of loss of light. This is negligible and will be compesated by the metering system of the camera and you will not notice it.

All the best!

Jules

TheStig3566
Visitor

Ah that's good to know thanks :cool: The auto focus is fine and the scratch has only shown up in 1 photo when shooting inside, but I also found that when pointing into the sun I get a strange defraction from what i assume is the scratch. I'll get in touch with Nedis and BSS and see what can be sorted out, thank you both so much for your help :slight_smile:

Jules74
Visitor

Hi TheStig3566,

yes, you are actually right that in some situations it can be possible to see the scratch on images. I presume it is because the mirror is located pretty close to the image sensor...  Maybe it is a bit like dust on the sensor that you see really well in areas with blue sky, but otherwise you cannot notice it much.

I can imagine that it also has some negative effect in the EVF, like diffraction in strong sun light, as you described.

Just watch the bahaviour of the AF system, the image quality (visible scratches) and the ease of framing with EVF under different conditions. It would be a pity to figure out that the results are bad when you are e.g. on holidays or at other photo occasions that cannot be repeated easily.

I hope that Nedis and/or BSS will be able to help you!

Jules

MattyJoJo
Explorer

Jules' info is spot on but just wanted to let you know that BSS have changed their name to Regional Repair Centre, in case anyone needs to get in touch with them.

You can still access the relevant page through the link Jules posted, or you can go direct to it here - http://regionalrepaircentre.co.uk/repairs_alpha.php

Thanks

Bieomax

there's also some good information here

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/sony-camera-parts-service-repair-manual-websites_topic97186.html

I'll see about adding the other quoted sites here to it

chrisavery
Explorer

Been on the phone with Regional Repair Centre (formerly BSS online) and they also sell spare parts as well doing the repairs (although don't advertise this anywhere on their site but might be worth updating your post to reflect this). I did ask why not and the lady mentioned something about not wanting customers to break things so hence they don't advertise it.  Good find though, thanks :slight_smile: