Join now - be part of our community!

How does one avoid banding of combined images in panorama mode ?

ouzel.chris
Explorer

How does one avoid banding of combined images in panorama mode ?

Hi,
I've been using my NEX-6 to take some wonderful ponorama shots.  However, about 50% of the time (especially in lower light conditions) the resulting image shows banding i.e. the edges of each image that make up the panorama can be seen in the final (composite) image.

Has anyone else experienced this, and any ideas to avoid it ?

Many thanks,

chris

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Pumpkin_Duke

Hi Chris,

The only way to avoid this is to mount your camera to a nodal adaptor and take single shots that needs to be stitched in a special panorama software on your PC.

A camera can never create perfect panorama shots as the fore- and background can never match.

Cheers

PD

ouzel.chris
Explorer

DSC00659.JPG

I'm not worried about image registration.  Above is an example of what i mean.  Look at the blue sky.  At infinity.  The camera should lock the exposure to be the same for all the subimages, yet banding in the sky can be seen.  I suggest it is either an image stitching bug, or a non uniform sensor responsivity.  But i am pretty ignorant about such things, and was wondering if anyone had seen something similar. One other thought: i had the D-range optimiser set to Lv5.  I'm not sure how that works.  If it is a local image operation, it could conceivably result in panorama artefacts, if it was not implemented properly.  I really appreciate any comments.

Bieomax

You could also try setting a white balance instead of awb. That may help reduce some discrepancies.
ouzel.chris
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion Bieomax.  But I never use AWB.  In the example shown, WB was set as sunlit.

I'm still looking for a solution to this - maybe I have a faulty camera, but I'm still looking how to contact Sony Support direct - I had hoped that they scanned these forums and would have interjected by now !

Bieomax

If you've got a faulty one then my all my ones are.

What focal length are you using? when ive tried this I think it was the wider angle lenses which I used to get this on.

But I'll admit I dont use it much now, ive started to it with software
profile.country.NL.title
albertdros
Contributor

Maybe I'm missing something but you use the incamea stitching right? You didn't mention if you did, or else I'm not reading good enough :wink: . Can you elaborate on that? And do you set everything manually?

ouzel.chris
Explorer

Yes, I'm using ther in-camera stitching i.e. Panorama mode.  I usually set the mode dial to "Program Auto", but I think the effect can occur in manual too.

Thanks for any suggestions you or others have.

@albertdros wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something but you use the incamea stitching right? You didn't mention if you did, or else I'm not reading good enough :wink: . Can you elaborate on that? And do you set everything manually?