Join now - be part of our community!

HDR on Alpha

profile.country.sl_SI.title
miha52
Visitor

HDR on Alpha

I found no answer in the Owner's manual or on the internet to the following question:

when taking photos in the HDR-mode with my A-37, the camera records 2 images, 1 with D-R off (so-to-say a "normal" picture) and 1 HDR-picture ( the picture I actually want). Is this normal and a "must", or can I change it in the set-up, so that the camera takes only the HDR picture. Meaning, that I get only a HDR-picture when I want one and not bundled with another "normal" picture.

I use also a Canon G12 and there I get what I want, when set to HDR simply 1 HDR picture.

Thanks and regards

Mike

Message was edited by: miha52

Tags (4)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

Hello Mike
for creating the HDR image the camera actually takes 3 images and merges them into a single image which contains a wider dynamic range in regard to the contrast of the scene. One image captures the details in the shadows, one in the highlights and one is the "normal" exposure, capturing the midtones.
The camera then merges the 3 exposures into a single image to bring out both the details in the shadwos and the highlights.
By default the camera saves this HDR image AND the image which was taken with the standard exposure setting.
This can not be changed, so you will always have the two versions of the same scane: One HDR image and one with the standard exposure.
This has following benefits:
Depending on the EV-settings for the HDR mode the HDR-processing can have a very strong effect and sometimes produce an "artifical" or "surrealistic"look" (which is often what HDR photographers want). Therefore to have a choice after the capture process the camera also saves the standard image which is not HDR processed. You can compare both versions and decide which one looks better.
Furhtermore, as the HDR capture process consists of merging 3 images which have been taken in sequence at different instants of time artefacts can occur when the image contains moving subjects. The merging algorithm is capable of suppressing this kind of "ghosting" artefacts in many cases but the effect can not be avoided at all times. Therefore to have a "backup" of an image which has been taken in standard mode of the same scene is very good in my opinion.