Join now - be part of our community!

SLT A-35 and studio flash

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
keithht67
New

SLT A-35 and studio flash

Recently I have got myself some studio space, I use mostly a 120 film camera there but as I have a Sony SLT-A35 I decided to try it in the studio. I bought a cheap hotshoe adapter and started using the camera.

The problem is that when you stop down to the aperture required for the flash units the Liveview is just about completely dark, although the camera takes a photo it is impossible to have composed the resulting picture by anything other than guesswork.

It seems a shame that a camera costing £430 is as far as I can tell useless in the studio environment and unless their is a solution I have overlooked I am going to be forced to sell the camera and buy a Canon or Nikon unit.

Does anyone else remember being able to walk into a Jessops, pay peanuts for a Zenit and connect it to a studio flash and fire away?.

Message was edited by: keithht67

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
keithht67
New

Hi, yes it probably is but then you are giving into Sony's desire for you to pay them more money for a facility that should be included in the original specs of any camera retailing at that pricepoint. My solution has been to sell the Sony camera and purchase a basic Canon DSLR which as of now is working fine in a studio environment.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
gogorabbit
New

Hello Keithht67,

I recently had this on my A37 - The soloution on that was to go onto the menu, under the "Cog" selection change the "Live View Effects" to off and this will give you a constant image despite your setting.  I can only presume this would be the same on the A35

Hope this solves it for you. :

profile.country.GB.title
keithht67
New

Hi gogorabbit, thanks for responding. I've just had a look and sadly Sony seem to have forgotten? to include this option on the A-35. Thanks again for responding....keithht67

Message was edited by: -Soup-

personal details removed

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

there is a quite elegant solution for having a bright viewfinder/LCD image when using the camera with studio flash. By default when the camera is set to M mode the live view image will give a preview of the effect of the exposure setting (Shutter speed and Aperture) and this is based of course on the ambient light. Now if you set the aperuter/shutter speed for typical "studio flash values" (e.g. F9 and 1/160s) of course the live view image will be dark, as it simulates the effect to give a preview.

On all current SLT you can go to the custom setting and change the Live view setting to "Effect OFF" to have a bright image independent from the exposure settings.

Sadly this is not possible on A33/35/55 this is not possible

However when you use an external flash (e.g. the HVL-F42AM) the live view image will be bright in M-mode.

As you can also use the flash to trigger the studio flash (set the flash to M-mode and choose the lowest output level to avoid an effect on the scene) this is what I would recommend to you.

profile.country.ES.title
Koldiski
New

Hi!

I have the same problem.

With my Sony A-35, I can not do photos indoors at Iso 100. F11 1/125. In my viewfinder does not appear anything but once fired my external flash, the image is correct.

If I buy a HV42 (or 43...) is it possible to see through my viewfinder?

Really?

THKS

profile.country.GB.title
keithht67
New

Hi, yes it probably is but then you are giving into Sony's desire for you to pay them more money for a facility that should be included in the original specs of any camera retailing at that pricepoint. My solution has been to sell the Sony camera and purchase a basic Canon DSLR which as of now is working fine in a studio environment.