Join now - be part of our community!

Autoexposure function results in overexposed faces

SOLVED
profile.country.sv_SE.title
matsmarconi
Visitor

Autoexposure function results in overexposed faces

I recently purchased an HDR-CX350VE HD camcorder and I am not happy with the auto exposure function. If faces are illuminated by sunlight or by a spotlight in a theater scene they get overexposured. Will there be a software update to correct this or do I need some filter on the camera. Of course it is possible to make a manual adjustment but if the illumination is varying is is not so easy to get a good result.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I doubt that any camera or camcorder could correctly expose for the dynamic range in the picture you have attached.  The range from dark to light is far too extreme.

To correctly expose for the figure in the spotlight you need to use Spot Metering.  In the MANUAL SETTINGS menu you need to activate SPOT MTR/FCS and then when you select the subject in the spotlight by tapping it on your touch screen, the camera automatically adjusts both focus and exposure for the selected subject.

The easiest way to set this up is as an item in the movie section of MY MENU so you can get to it in a couple of taps.

:wink:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I doubt that any camera or camcorder could correctly expose for the dynamic range in the picture you have attached.  The range from dark to light is far too extreme.

To correctly expose for the figure in the spotlight you need to use Spot Metering.  In the MANUAL SETTINGS menu you need to activate SPOT MTR/FCS and then when you select the subject in the spotlight by tapping it on your touch screen, the camera automatically adjusts both focus and exposure for the selected subject.

The easiest way to set this up is as an item in the movie section of MY MENU so you can get to it in a couple of taps.

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
turnell
New

Shooting any plays should be done in manual mode. Set your White Balance and also check how much light you have in the hall.

Is no good to keep thinking that you computer is a fixer of all errors.