Join now - be part of our community!

FDR AX 33 - panning

Ljoms12345
Explorer

FDR AX 33 - panning

Hi

I am new here, got a Sony FDR AX33 (4k) this summer. I have a question.  When i am panning with 4k it  "judding" /"choppy"...even when moving the cam very slow. Does anyone else have the same experience, is it normal? It does not happen when i use only in Full HD.

16 REPLIES 16
davruse
Explorer

i have exactly the same problem - have you found an answer?

bigdaddyg
Explorer

Dont know if you have recieved an answer ot not to this, sorry if you have but i for some reason can not scoll down and see the replies

Simply the Boss stabilier system only works in resolution below 4k, so it will be smooth on every thing else lower than this, if you wish to use 4k resolution for the panning then you would need a tripod ot something similat to reduce the shake 

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi all,

How bad is the judder / shakiness of the 4K footage ? Does it make it unwatchable unless all filming is carried out via a tripod ?

bigdaddyg, how did you find out that the BOSS is only active for resolutions less than 4K ?

So not only do we lose out on 5.1ch audio at 4K but also on stabilisation. If this is all so, surely it renders the product unsuitable for 4K use ?

I 'm thinking it is going to be a few models on before I get the 4K unit :slight_frown:

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Ljoms12345
Explorer

Hi, I am using the tripod when panning, still judder, so as far as i understand this is not about shaking.  i have not found the solution, planning to bring it to the dealer and ask what this is all about.

Ljoms12345
Explorer

nope, planning to bring it to the dealer

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi again,

Could you update this thread after you have been to the dealer please ? I wonder if you have a defective camera.

Regards 

Ljoms12345
Explorer

Hi, uploaded a sample on youtube, look and comment please...is this wrong or am i doing something wrong. It is recorded K4 and default settings, using tripod. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkFejXS-MjI  

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

I see what you mean, I can only imagine what the result would be following something moving more quickly and without a tripod. It's as if the camera processor cannot keep up with the image detail - okay for stills then !

I am afraid I am not an expert here, just an interested party as I am in the market for a 4K camcorder. Perhaps other users of this model can enlighten ?

Regards

Ljoms12345
Explorer

Just delivered to Sony Service now. They agreed that it does not look good, i guess i will have the answer in a couple of days and hopefully fixed!