Join now - be part of our community!

FDR AX 33 - panning

Ljoms12345
Explorer

FDR AX 33 - panning

Hi

I am new here, got a Sony FDR AX33 (4k) this summer. I have a question.  When i am panning with 4k it  "judding" /"choppy"...even when moving the cam very slow. Does anyone else have the same experience, is it normal? It does not happen when i use only in Full HD.

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Excellent news :slight_smile:  Although has not been the best time for you :slight_frown:

Please let us know how it "pans" out - pardon the pun

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Ljoms12345
Explorer

Hi

Got it back and they say it is nothing wrong with it.  In my opinion the camera is then of limited value if you are to shoot in 4K mode.  I realised one other intresting thing.  Some of the AX33 shoot 30 frames per second in 4K, bud mine does only 25 frames per second.  So, there is actual two different specs on these cameras....cannot say i am very impressed by that!  Do anyone know about SW updates...please let me know.

davruse
Explorer

4K video only seems to work with panning if the camera is handheld - on a tripod it is very jerky. David 

Edited by Drew - Personal info removed

Ljoms12345
Explorer

why is that so?

davruse
Explorer

I think the stabiliser works better when handheld and reduces the jerkyness / flickering on vertical lines. I have also found that when playing back direct onto my 4k TV the video is far more stable but degrades when copied to bluray or dvd. I now use the 4k setting for static video i.e. no left or right movement and then switch to 1080p 50fps for everything else - even on a 4k TV I cannot tell the difference in quality between the 2 modes.

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@Ljoms12345

Hi again,

There is some interesting content on this thread on AVS forum regarding the panning (in 4K) and other comparisons for both the AX100 and AX33 camcorders. There is actually a mention on the last post regarding 30fps frame rate on an AX33 ??

I am still living in hope that the next 4K model will surpass these issues - oh, and have 5.1ch surround for 4K footage.

Your continued updates have been helpful, it is a pity that it has not been helpful for you. I guess faster processors / memory cards will appear eventually and allow for faster image to camera content ? It  begs the question how well does the Sony 4K "action" cam perform then ?

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Ljoms12345
Explorer

Thanx, learned a lot there.