Join now - be part of our community!

PRS-350 Screen too dark

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
MLAVFC73
Visitor

PRS-350 Screen too dark

I have a PRS-350 and I love it. However, when I am reading in the car (as passenger!) in the evening (or tea time during winter when it gets dark early), I find it hard to see the writing on the screen. I have to use my phone light to brighten the screen. Is there a setting I need to adjust or a light I can buy? I have adjusted the brightness and it makes no difference as it's the wording that gets brighter or duller.:smileyconfused:

Message was edited by: MLAVFC73

Message was edited by: MLAVFC73

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
carpetmojo

Hello MLAV, first, have you found the adjust view tool ? That is, if the 350 has the facility - my son has pinched mine, so can't remember.

Hit "POTIONS" , then "ADJUST VIEW", then "Custom".

This brings you the font dark/light Custom screen. Play around with this to find what suits your eyes best ! I have found 97 (+ or top line) and -91 suit me, and getting this right for you does improve legibility in low light levels.

I don't think there is a specific trick to brighten the screen.

Second, yes, you will need a light, as the eink page is not backlit.

Sony do a cover with light which is excellent, but they are very hard to come by now, and £40 'ish quid, not cheap,  try Amazon, ebay, etc.. Google it as well, see what you come up with......

I reckon these are the perfect answer, as well as good protection levels.

Otherwise, you are are looking at a proprietry light and cover .

For most of these you will need a cover for the 350, not a bad idea anyway, and there are quite a few (unlit) ones out there that are reasonable - or make/adapt your own.

Then you just need a clip-on type reading of which there are quite a few that will do. Sony do (did?) which I bought as a Christmas pressie last year, for just £9-99, various colouras - I got it at Waterstones - which is still going fine.

I have seen a magnetic strip stuck on the back of the 350, and a magnetic light used - but don't if that's a good idea, re: affecting Reader contents - but apparently they had no problems.

Or, if all else fails, it's under the bedsheets with a torch !!

PS  I've given up ever getting mine back, so have bought a "clearance" one from Best Buy, so'll be able to re-acqaint meself next week !

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
carpetmojo

Hello MLAV, first, have you found the adjust view tool ? That is, if the 350 has the facility - my son has pinched mine, so can't remember.

Hit "POTIONS" , then "ADJUST VIEW", then "Custom".

This brings you the font dark/light Custom screen. Play around with this to find what suits your eyes best ! I have found 97 (+ or top line) and -91 suit me, and getting this right for you does improve legibility in low light levels.

I don't think there is a specific trick to brighten the screen.

Second, yes, you will need a light, as the eink page is not backlit.

Sony do a cover with light which is excellent, but they are very hard to come by now, and £40 'ish quid, not cheap,  try Amazon, ebay, etc.. Google it as well, see what you come up with......

I reckon these are the perfect answer, as well as good protection levels.

Otherwise, you are are looking at a proprietry light and cover .

For most of these you will need a cover for the 350, not a bad idea anyway, and there are quite a few (unlit) ones out there that are reasonable - or make/adapt your own.

Then you just need a clip-on type reading of which there are quite a few that will do. Sony do (did?) which I bought as a Christmas pressie last year, for just £9-99, various colouras - I got it at Waterstones - which is still going fine.

I have seen a magnetic strip stuck on the back of the 350, and a magnetic light used - but don't if that's a good idea, re: affecting Reader contents - but apparently they had no problems.

Or, if all else fails, it's under the bedsheets with a torch !!

PS  I've given up ever getting mine back, so have bought a "clearance" one from Best Buy, so'll be able to re-acqaint meself next week !