Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-N5200W or HT-RT5?

profile.country.GB.title
midsomerjambo
New

BDV-N5200W or HT-RT5?

Hello,

I'm debating buying one or other of the above to replace a Panasonic BT230 home cinema system that has given up the ghost. My question relates to the fact that I have a Mezzmo media server running on a Dell laptop which I used via DLNA and wired Ethernet to the BT230 for playing movies and music and viewing photos. The data is a stored on an external 2TB WD MyBook and the library is managed via Mezzmo. I believe I'll be able to manage the system in much the same way with the N5200 as it appears to be a more or less equivalent system, but I stand to be corrected. However, I wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to how best access my library with the RT5 as I haven't seen any references to DLNA in the spec. Would the Mezzmo server just appear in the apps list? Apologies if this sounds like a dumb question but although I have a background in IT and electronic engineering, I'm not an AV expert so any advice would be welcome.

Regards, MSJ

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
midsomerjambo
New

Having read the manuals a bit now, I haven't seen anything referring to the RT5 ability to handle/render video file formats, just sound and image files. However, I have lots of ripped video in my laptop Mezzmo library in various formats (MKV, MP4, AVI etc.). I know the RT5 is essentially a soundbar but given that it calls itself a home theatre system, my assumption would be that it can handle video formats. Am I missing something? By the way, my TV is a wee bit long in the tooth and doesn't have an ethernet port but I can't afford to replace both it and the sound system at the moment (I'm assuming a TV with an ethernet port would offer a means of accessing my Mezzmo video library). Any thoughts?

Regards, MSJ

profile.country.GB.title
Owen_G

Hi Midsomerjamb. Thanks for your message. We are looking into this and someone will get back to you shortly. ^Owen