Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.

Models potentially affected are:

RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095

It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected.

Latest Update 22/07/2013 15:41

Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. With your help Sony has discovered that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy this issue.

Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Many thanks

195 REPLIES 195
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@Amanda-Jade wrote:

Dear Thalamus,

Couldn't reply on my original thread as it has been now locked, but want to say thank you for posting the link with all the helpful bits on.

I have now returned home from work and my recorder was still stuck on Update. I have seen the posts saying the problem has now been fixed, so I turned it off from the mains and then went via the motions using the easy set up and the EPG channels are now all back! Hurray!

Thank you for all your help on here. It's been reasurring to have experts like yourselves being able to assist us non techies 🙂

Did Sony issue a statement saying what the problem was? I haven't seen it as yet.

Kind regards

Amanda

You're welcome Amanda, it was great to see so many communty members assisting others on here today..:smileyhappy:

The only official response from Sony can be found HERE

iaharro51
Explorer

We got back from holiday yesterday to find our HXD 870 had been affected by this glitch, probably on Fri night. The biggest issue was the lack information with the exception of pascale_f, whose useful advice was buried by the explosion of threads occuring throughout Saturday. The change of location tip for the recorder to France provided a work-around although no EPG. I was pleased to see that Sony responded well today, which is commendable as it is a Sunday. Now our recorder is back to normal function, including the EPG and UK location! Can we hope for better communication in future, even at weekends, in this modern age? Many thanks.

gamaddo
Explorer

We’ve been using, without any problem for over 4 years, a KDL-32P3020 with an RDR-HXD790, version no. 1.15.. Suddenly on Saturday, 20 July 2013, after turning the units on in the morning, the RDR stopped displaying digital channels. Certain options on the RMT-D251P worked e.g. Title List, System Menu, but no digital channels.

Yesterday, 21 July 2013, around mid-afternoon the RDR began to redisplay parts of the Guide in an unusual colour. Within 15 minutes, digital channels began to display. Within 30 mins every thing excluding Subtitles, was back. Subtitles subsequently reappeared. This morning 22 July, fingers crossed, every thing was back as before.

profile.country.GB.title
tennysonman

You may or not be aware that over the weekend there was a problem with the broadcast of CRID information that resulted in corruption of some of the RDR machines.  The problem was rectified at the broadcast side Sunday morning.  Any of the affected machines will need a full power off/power on cycle to reset them.  If this fails to return them to normal operation then we recommend a hard rest as follows:-

Make sure the recorder is turned on and remove any discs

Press and hold the stop button then press the on/standby button on the recorder together.

All settings are reset and the recorder turns off. 

The machine will then need to be retuned and any other preference settings reset.

gyhutch
Explorer

Update 1 worked for me.  Now all OK.  Thanks.

glider2
Explorer

Please confirm that Sony will make a statement in due course, preferably agreed with Digital UK, explaining exactly what happened, and the steps taken to ensure it won't occur again.

Thousands of people have wasted hours on this unnecessary problem.

It looks as if it was probably caused by an update made automatically on Friday. Clearly automatic updates should not be sent out just before the weekend.

profile.country.en_GB.title
chrisbrett747
Explorer

Thank you for your update.  I have HXD890 and have all the channels back.  However, I still have no EPG despite numerous retunes.  Any idea how long this will take to sort out.  At the moment I can't setup serial recordings without a great deal of faffing about with the manual program.  I would be grateful for any information

jedi98

Anyone who still has no epg after going back to uk channels may need to set the epg type backto 'digital tv' in options. It tends to get stuck on guide+.
pauljlane
Explorer

It is absolutely disgraceful that Sony allowed this problem to happen as we the customer expect better. I feel sorry for all the people who are not techie and are still stuck with recorders that are not working. Sony should give us money off vouchers as recompense to cover all the time and effort we have all had to put in to resolve this issue.