Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.

Models potentially affected are:

RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095

It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected.

Latest Update 22/07/2013 15:41

Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. With your help Sony has discovered that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy this issue.

Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Many thanks

195 REPLIES 195
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pauljlane wrote:

It is absolutely disgraceful that Sony allowed this problem to happen as we the customer expect better. I feel sorry for all the people who are not techie and are still stuck with recorders that are not working. Sony should give us money off vouchers as recompense to cover all the time and effort we have all had to put in to resolve this issue.

Umm....  Did you read the first post on this subject from Catmambo:

"It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data from Arqiva http://arqiva.com/about-us/ the people who own and operate the Freeview standard for the UK. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected."

Would you also blame Sony for your TV not working because you have had a power cut?

chrisbrett747
Explorer

Just a brief thank you to all the techie guys on here.  I have finally managed to get my guide back and can now set up series recording.  Again, thank you. 

To Sony and who ever was responsible for the glitch on Friday/ Saturday - it is disgusting the way you have treated your customers.  I have always bought Sony right from when tape walkmans were the latest thing"  I have 3 Sony TVs, 2 Sony DVD recorders and 2 Sony digital radios.  Most of the members of my family have also bought Sony equipment on my advice.  Well, no more.  Your latest technology is rubbish compared to what you usually produce and you need to get yourselves sorted out.  The latest TVs and HDD recorders simply do not compare to your competition.  The sooner you go into bankruptcy, the better.

To tech guys, again, Thank you 

@Quinnicus wrote:

Would you also blame Sony for your TV not working because you have had a power cut?

If it only affected Sony products... then yes i would.

Mr_Onion

chrisbrett747  Sony were NOT rtesponsible for the fault. READ THE Forum before posting such incorect opinion.

nigelcoldwell   So Microsoft are to blame that virus only effect microsoft computers and not Apple or Linux?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nigelcoldwell wrote:

@Quinnicus wrote:

If it only affected Sony products... then yes i would.

LOL, had a chuckle on that one :slight_smile:

But it wasnt just Sony/Pioneer products, So was Vestel equipment

"However, some users of Vestel equipment - budget range Freeview+ recorders branded with names such as "Digihome" and "Luxor" - have reported crashes that appear to coincide with the use of series links on the Sky owned PICK TV on channel 11. The Sky EPG data for its Freeview channels is now being linked by some as the likely cause of the Sony issue as well."

http://www.a516digital.com/2013/07/problems-with-sony-recorders-using.html

Clem_Dye
Explorer

It's clear that there's been a lot of confusion regarding this issue, along with a lot of finger pointing, and whilst the issue wasn't caused by Sony, the fact that malformed EPG data could take such a large chunk of the Sony/Pioneer PVR estate offline does I think require Sony to recognise that they have an issue that needs to be fixed, so that it can't occur again. An OTA update would seem sensible at some point, and perhaps an offline update too. Hint to Sony on that second point: please stop issuing updates as "MEM" files and publish an ISO that contains the firmware in the expected format that can be burned to disc. I spent ages trying to burn the latest 890 firmware to CD for my recorder, but it seems that discs produced on a Mac don't cut it with the player, and after wasting four discs I gave up -- whatever writing options I used just didn't work. Sony assuming that everyone and his dog has a Windows computer at home is simply not acceptable in this day and age -- many of us have Macs and Linux-based systems. Provide something that all Sony customers can use when they need to apply updates.

Clem

keech65
Explorer

RDR-HDX 1095   Scotland

I re-tuned this lunchtime back to UK settings and enabled Digital EPG and all is well now, everything back "hopefully" :thumbsup:   Just hope it stays that way, I am dreading the "update" word coming up though :sweat:

chrisbrett747
Explorer

Sony were NOT rtesponsible for the fault. READ THE Forum before posting such incorect opinion.

Firstly I would strongly suggest you get your spellchecker sorted out!  Secondly I didn't buy an EPG , I bought a DVD Recorder clearly labelled "Sony".  Therefore, whoever it is that Sony use to provide the EPG fitted to their machines should be fired.  But I can't fire them, Sony can and should.  But of course they won't.  Sony probably part own the company.  As a customer who has no choice over which company Sony use to provide the EPG, have no choice but to take up the matter with Sony - who of course, are busily trying to point the blame somewhere else.  It's what Sony always do!  How about that for incorect(sic) opinion?

chappers2000
Explorer

Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring here.

I'm under no illusion that Sony are not ultimately at fault here (although for this issue to have cropped up and only effected Sony RDR devices suggests there is some kind of flaw in their design?), so I'm not going to get into that whole debate.

My HXD890 did the textbook 'UPDATE' stall on Friday, and I hadn't noticed until Saturday. I didn't know there was a National issue, so assumed my device was kaput. I updated the machine using firmware 1.24 from the Sony website, only to have the update process stall on "DOWNLOAD-5", but after a power-cycle it restarted and the 1.24 firmware appears to have stored ok. Although the general issues remained. The "France" work-around sufficed for the rest of the day.

Sunday...

By midday, the device had restarted itself and I was able to power-cycle and get UK EPG working, and everything back to normal. HOWEVER for some reason I am no longer able to view Freeview over 1080p HDMI, the picture constantly breaks up and interrupts. I have had to set the HDMI output to 1080i in order for the Freeview signal to stablise.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue, or does anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks