anuluj
Pokazywanie wyników dla 
Zamiast tego wyszukaj 
Czy miało to oznaczać: 

Dołącz teraz - stań się częścią naszej społeczności!

UBP-X800M2 too bright subtitles

ROZWIĄZANE
profile.country.PL.title
pajusty
Poszukiwacz

UBP-X800M2 too bright subtitles

Hi,

subtitles (non-pgs) in vide files like mkv are too bright. is there any way they can be dimmed or any option to change color? Appe TV displays them as grey and on grey box and they are much more friendly for eyes. On X800M2 turning subtitles on makes they totally useless because you want to put your shades on to continue watch. I tried to change color of SRT subtitles in windows app before muxing them back but X800M2 still reads them as white and disregards color info.

Can someone from Sony do something with that or it is deliberate intension because this problem does not show on disks only on video files. BR disks have nice, dim subtitles.

1 ZAAKCEPTOWANE ROZWIĄZANIE

Zaakceptowane rozwiązania
profile.country.PL.title
pajusty
Poszukiwacz

Thank you Rose,

Yes, the only solution would be that new firmware release has option to dim subtitles or change their color to grey.

Let’s close the ticket.

Just for your awareness:

I ripped my BR disk with Bladerunner 2049 into m2ts and mkv. M2ts has nice grey pgs subtitles while mkv file with vobsub subtitles has this awful plaint white color which glares your eyes and creates blooming effect on my TV. See example attached.

best,

PawelStykówka-001.jpg

Wyświetl rozwiązanie w oryginalnym poście

13 ODPOW. 13
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Pajusty,

Welcome to the community.

We'll look into this and let you know what we find out.

Some of our members may have some knowledge to share in the meantime.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
The_Black_Rose
Specjalista

Hi Pajusty ,

Could you share a photo showing this?

Cheers,

Rose

profile.country.PL.title
pajusty
Poszukiwacz

Hello Rose,

Sure I can. I think that this issue maybe known to Sony.

Subtitles in 4K HDR files like mkv (and not only mkv files) are extremely bright. I think because they are treated by TV or BR player as a part of a picture and their luminescence is boosted high to match HDR. If they were encoded not white but perhaps grey, they would not be so bright.

• Examples from 4K HDR film ripped to mkv: MKV file 1-6. Awfully bright subtitles generating blooming effect on my KD-75XG9505
  • Examples from 4K HDR film on BR disk: BR movie 1-3 – nice subtitles less than 100% white

You can easily see that subtitles are using different engines to display. On BR disk with full BR files structure they are rendered as gray PGS while in MKV files (external files) subtitles encoded to SRT or SAA, SUB files are rendered as 100% white. I was trying to encode different color of subtitles but X800 disregards this and still displays them as 100% white.

profile.country.PL.title
pajusty
Poszukiwacz

MKV_file_1.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
The_Black_Rose
Specjalista

Hi Pajusty,

Yes, I think I've seen this on Sony's website before: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00152102 , but this is mainly talking about a TV that's why I got confused when you said it is an issue with the BluRay player.

A great workaround at this point will be changing the subtitle colour, maybe to yellow that should make things look better.

Cheers,

Rose

profile.country.PL.title
pajusty
Poszukiwacz

Stykówka-001.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Joe_Dohn
Specjalista

I agree with Rose, try using a completely different color than white. Also maybe try capturing the same scene so we can compare the images better, but I believe that changing the color completely should be sufficient.

profile.country.PL.title
pajusty
Poszukiwacz

Hi, 

we can not subtitle font in X800M2. There is not such option. 
I tried to encode yellow colour of subtitles in into mkv but x800m2 still displays as white

profile.country.GB.title
The_Black_Rose
Specjalista

Hi Pajusty,

Can you connect the source of the files directly to the TV instead of the UBP?

Cheers,

Rose