Join now - be part of our community!

40EX503 No BBC HD channel on Iplayer-help please

profile.country.en_GB.title
anthony1
Explorer

40EX503 No BBC HD channel on Iplayer-help please

Can anyone help with this: I appear to have an older version of the Iplayer or at least something is stopping the BBC HD channel being visible.  Under an FAQ on the tv iplayer it says you can't access HD progs on this version of iplayer.  Also cannot see all current films which are available on IPlayer as compared to when accessed on my PC.  Have got the latest firmware correctly installed on tv.  Router can easily support HD.  Have reset to factory settings (the tv) in case the firmware update hadn't flushed thru properly.  Didn't help.  Using a wired router connection.  Am baffled!

9 REPLIES 9
stevehicks
Visitor

I can't see BBC HD on my NX503 either, but I can on Iplayer accessed through my Sony Blu Ray Player!

Must be different version of Sony I Player out there.

Catmambo
Contributor

Yes BBC haven't yet enabled HD playback for the Freesat version of iPlayer ( which is basically what the 2010 devices use) Blu-rays use a different version which is why its visible on one and not the other.

Thanks

anthony1
Explorer

Brilliant, a clear and logical answer thank you (obviously the answer itself is not so good though!)

Catmambo
Contributor

They have said it they will be enabled, but not when they will do it I'm afraid...

Thanks

anthony1
Explorer

Wonder if there's any further news on this.  I contacted BBC iplayer support a while back and they said it would arrive towards the end of this year.  They referred to it as roll out of the big screen version of the iplayer which is already on some devices. Tried again and got a standard reply recently so don't know where this issue stands presently.....

Catmambo
Contributor

Let me check again with them next week.

Thanks

anthony1
Explorer

Hello again, any news on this?  The tv is great, iplayer is great and I can't wait to be able to access HD on the Iplayer.  Thanks.

Catmambo
Contributor

Great - I was trying to find this thread to update it, but couldn't see it, so thanks for updating it and brining it back to the top :smileyhappy:.

Checked with the BBC and they have unfortunately de-prioritised adding the current HD service to MHEG/Freesat iPlayer services. They said they may look to increase the bitrate a bit, so the quality would improve, but gave no guarantee or timeline as to when this would happen.

Their energies are focussed on HTML versions moving forwards as it gives them greater flexibility, newer technology and a common standard to work to.

So not great news unfortunately.

Thanks

anthony1
Explorer

What a shame.  Odd in a way because as I understood it 2011 (but not 2010) Sony tvs and blu ray players have the ability to see the BBC Iplayer HD version.  Anyway no worries, I'll get a blu ray player at some point.  Many thanks for your efforts.