Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting Bravia CX52-40 to local network.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Stuface
Visitor

Connecting Bravia CX52-40 to local network.

Having read through the forums, this is a slightly more difficult answer than some already posted !

Our home network is a Sky Broadband router (D-Link model), with a Safecom wireless router attached to support all the devices in the house.

The Sky router supports an X-Box, all the mobile phones (3) on Wi-Fi and a hard wired PC.

The Safecom router, plugged into the Sky router via the Safecom WLAN port supports one PC and one Laptop.

The Sky/D-Link router only has two Ethernet ports.. one is for the hard-wired PC, one is for the Safecom acting as a router.

We now have a Bravia CX52 'net enabled TV.

Despite my best efforts, reading forums, checking settings.. I cannot get the TV to connect either via the Safecom router or the Sky router on wireless.

I can't hard-wire it in, as the routers are a good 30' away (80' by the time you've gone round the room), so I'm relying on the wireless working.

We have the 'official' Sony dongle.

The Safecom router has been told the MAC address of the dongle, as I use MAC control on that router.

The TV has been given the Sky WPA Key.

Despite all this, and several attempts after reading forums and instructions, it still won't connect.

I'm missing something with IP address or DNS server, but I don't know what !!

I've dealt with networks and PC's for years.... SONY ?? Baffles me :slight_smile:

Any help or suggestions, if anyone has a similar set-up greatly appreciated.

Regards..

Stu

Message was edited by: -Soup-

3 REPLIES 3
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Stu

Couple of things here. Firstly the TV is normally pretty good when it comes to connecting, its normallly just plug and play.

• Depending on your contract with Sky, might be worth getting a new all in one modem router from them. They have been handing out the very good Netgear 834 for a few years now I think which has 4 Ethernet sockets and is an all in one so more straightforward to configure. Worth a phone call I think..nothing to loose..
  • Make sure you have the latest firmware on both these devices.
  • I'd try disabling your security and see if you can connect with no security in place. If it works then its problem just an incorrect character entered somewhere.
  • If wireless still isn't working then you could look at Homeplugs as that would give you a direct wired connection..

Beyond that its a little tricky as eveyones connection is a little different and so its tough to speculate really.

Hope this helps

Thanks

kashavsehra
Visitor

So do you have two wireless networks in the house? Sounds like quite a complicated setup.

Is it possible to do this setup:

Have the sky router wireless disabled, and only connect one of the LAN ports into the safecom WLAN port. Leave the second sky LAN port empty.

Now use the safecom router as your primary router, and connect everythign to that via LAN ports or Wifi. Although its not directly solving the issue of connecting the TV, it simplifies the setup and may help resolve any unknown conflicts.

Stuface
Visitor

Ok,

Thanks to Kash and Cat for those two answers.

I've a few hours free at the weekend, so I'll try and see what works !

Reading the forums, it seems to be a common, but easily fixed issue...

Updates to follow :slight_smile:

Stu