Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-22CX32D Goes into standby mode.

profile.country.en_GB.title
unclesteve2004
Visitor

KDL-22CX32D Goes into standby mode.

This is our second TV from Sony. This one is nothing fancy we simply switch it on and use there are no ancillary inputs other than power and an aerial.

The TV cuts out i.e. goes to standby mode after approx 90 minutes of use as a TV. After which it will turn back on but then only run for approx 15mins before going back into standby mode.

By standby I mean the red light on the front is activated.

Not certain how to proceed?

I have updated the firmware to the latest available.

I have checked the Eco settings as switched off and that the sleep timer is activated. The duration settings are set to off.

Have I missed something in the settings?

This is very frustrating.

How do I proceed.

9 REPLIES 9
KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hi,

TheIdle TV Standby is activated , if user did not touch any remote key for a preset time the tv counter starts then goes to standby

you may refer to Sony manual - page 39   http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4270482111.pdf 

unclesteve2004
Visitor

Hi Thanks for the info.

I double-checked the "Idle Standby" it is definitely set to off. I have tried using the "Power Saving" function in each of the modes, Standard, reduced and then Picture off. My reasoning is that the system when first turned on will last for approx 90mins all is fine picture and sound is perfect. After the 90mins system defaults to standby (solid red light). The system will run again but for progressively shorter amounts of time. Probably 15mins before it defaults to standby again. Further attempts produces progressively less functional time.

It appears to me that this is a heat related issue, unless there is a setting that I have missed.

I have tried the idle Standby and set this for 4 hours. It still doesn't achieve more than 90mins of TV time.

It is not sited in a cupboard it is on a kitchen counter. So it isn’t a constricted air problem.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated. My other half is missing Downton Abbey. I'm not popular!!

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hi , you are welcome

Now it looks like a TV hardware failure ( need repair). It is still in the early stage of problem before it becomes permanent.

The TV goes to standby as self protection , the first times you switched ON it takes longer time until standby, the second time it is shorter time , something overheat gradually and cause self switching off.  as example the PSU (power supply unit) board or something else need Sony technician for physical  investigation.

If your TV still have warranty period enough to wait and monitor the problem then you may wait. or give them a call to fix it earlier

unclesteve2004
Visitor

Hi once again

Thanks again for the input. Looks like its a phone call to Sony. I'll see what they say in the morning.

This is a brand new replacement unit direct from Sony. If you are correct then this indeed is another faulty unit. Because of its size this is a return to the repair centre so its another 75 miles round trip I guess times 2 and another month without a TV whilst they figure out what to do. Frustrating to say the least.

Apologies just letting off steam.

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for updating us by what is running in there

Sorry to hear about your experience with the service center , i know in advance that they will ask you to drop the unit again to service center to confirm the problem , it is a bit annoying step but they must to do it ( i think this is a routine procedure must by done in any worldwide service facility... collecting, investigate, reporting to manager, then may be replacement again or repair )

I hope if somebody watching this thread and have the authority to email the service network to accelerate the process as this is special repeated repair

Wish for you the good luck and looking forward to hear from you any further update

unclesteve2004
Visitor

Hi, Thought I'd update you on the curent situation.

Rang Sony yesterday (24 Oct 11) exceedingly unhelpful. The policy is that because the TV is a replacement (actually less than 2 weeks old) it will have to be dealt with by the Sony repair centre.

Sony repair agents exceedingly helpful, but under instruction from Sony HQ they need to test the unit before they can do anything.

Excellent news: a solution was found by Sony repair centre, which saved me the 75 mile round trip to deliver the faulty machine to them.

So once again no TV, whilst it is tested for a fault, which I know it already has. Frustration!!!

The original TV was just outside the one year warranty by less than a month, so a fee was charged for the repair. It had a powersupply problem which resulted in a backlight failure. Schedule parts for repair were available in Jan 2012, hence the replacement unit.

So Dear Mr Sony can I please have a TV that works. My wife is missing Downton Abbey and apparently its my fault.

-Soup-
Visitor

Thank you for posting on the Sony Forum.

In an effort to give a quick and correct answer to your question, one of the forums experts has escalated your post to our Technical Support team, who will provide them with the information required as quickly as possible.

You can expect one of the forum experts to get back to you with the answer very soon.

Best regards

The Sony Massive

unclesteve2004
Visitor

Update News:- TV is with The very nice folks at the repair centre.

Just checked today (Tuesday 1 Nov 2011) a replacement/repair is on order with Sony HQ. This was the action that the repair centre undertook.

ETA from Sony unknown.

On a personal note, wife missed Downton Abbey again. According to my wife its still my fault.

Information on ETA from Sony would have been handy, but it isn't available.

So we wait.

regards

Uncle Steve

unclesteve2004
Visitor

Latest News: TV repair folks arranged for new TV to be made available at local repair centre

Picked up replacement TV 11 Nov 2011, has a newer firmware than previous model and manufactured in Oct 2011.

Currently assembled and switched on checking if it all works.

Hopefully this one will function.

I did notice that the cable storage was different to the previous one.

Hopefully this will be my last post.

Uncle Steve