Join now - be part of our community!

Recording to HDD in manual mode

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
donbradbury
Explorer

Recording to HDD in manual mode

Sometimes, not always, my KDL-32CX523 automatically stops the manual record process a minute or so before the prog is finished - as last evening with Merlin. It's done it before, but it's not usual; I generally have to stop recording via the button to the left of the record button. The TV's manual does mention that recording will finish the process automatically but I've always assumed that meant while recording via the Guide - which does know the show's finishing time.

Anyone?

Don

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KDL-CX520
Visitor

The recording function is totally dependent of EPG data , cannot control it manually , suppose a broadcasting channel has not EPG info sent with signal , you will not able to record the program , TV firmware issue 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Bravia55HX

Hi, Don,

that is what you would expect if using EPG for something like that to happen but since you control when you want to start your recording then its only reasonable to think you can stop it when you like, pretty much like the old VCR days when you could hit record and stop when you like.

seems to me that the tv is behaving like EPG would when you set up a timer record and shutting off the recording when the program is in over run (used to hate that) then when you watch your show the blasted ends missing!

why its doing that is odd, surely if ones doing recording manually you should be able to stop it when you like.

not an answer i know, just random musing.

KDL-CX520
Visitor

The recording function is totally dependent of EPG data , cannot control it manually , suppose a broadcasting channel has not EPG info sent with signal , you will not able to record the program , TV firmware issue 

donbradbury
Explorer

Yep, as I say, that's the norm, say 90% of the time, but the other 20% (or whatever the statistic turns out to be eventually) it stops itself, but prematurely. It has me beat. At first I thought I must have nudged the remote, but last night I was nowhere near the remote, and neither was anybody else. I just got the red-square signal on the TV and the darned thing stopped. I was about to hit record again, but even if that had worked it would, I expect, have simply started a new un-joinable file.

Don

donbradbury
Explorer

Not so, sir, not on the KDL-32CX523 anyway. (Hit button with red dot on it to start).

Don

Bravia55HX

Don,

i know your right!, but some on here get confused between EPG recording and Manual recording!, what you seek the answer for has nothing to do with the EPG.

KDL-CX520
Visitor

donbradbury wrote:

Not so, sir, not on the KDL-32CX523 anyway. (Hit button with red dot on it to start).

Don

I own the same model , try to hit the red dot for a channel which missing the EPG data . You cannot start it , i had the same experience before

donbradbury
Explorer

Well, all I can say is that I just tried several off-the-beaten-track channels and they all let me record/stop manually. Can you offer an example of a channel that won't let me do this? Crikey, even Al Jazeera has a Guide entry!

Don

Bravia55HX

Hi Don,

i should get my replacement HX this week and will back up your claim on instant record! because i know that you can do both, timer event, whereby you can set an event to record much later or instant record to which is your claim, so whoever marked the above as correct answer wants his rear end kicked!!

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hello Don,

Currently all channels have EPG which are a Data tag signal which is a part of the whole signal.

When i bought the TV few months ago and during that time of digital switchover, i faced the similar problem with one channel (i forget the broadcaster name). I noticed it was the only channel without EPG data, I ignored the problem and later i updated the firmware frequently.

Suppose when you tried to stop the recording with Merlin the Data tag signal was interuppted for few minutes then you got the problem.

I understood that you faced the problem one time only with a specific program , meanwhile it is fine with all others