Join now - be part of our community!

Wi-Fi Direct on KDL-37EX524

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
honestaitch
Visitor

Wi-Fi Direct on KDL-37EX524

The spec for this TV states that Wi-Fi Direct is available via a firmware upgrade.

Where can I get this upgrade? I have the latest software installed but I do not see the option "Connecting via build-in Wi-Fi" in the Network Setup menu.

Thanks, H

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
drhowells
New

I think you are getting confused between Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct. The link you posted explains how to connect to a router via Wi-Fi. To do this you need the Wi-Fi dongle to connect.

Wi-Fi Direct is a standard that uses Wi-Fi to connect to other devices with this facility. It uses your Wi-Fi connection to do this, but does not need a router.

So basically, you need the Wi-Fi dongle for your TV to be able to use the Wi-Fi Direct functionality.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi honestaitch.

What specifications are you looking at?  The 37EX524 does not have a built-in wifi module and requires you to buy the optional USB Wireless LAN Adapter UWA-BR100 to connect to any wireless network.

WiFi Direct is something different but requires the WiFi dongle first.

Can you give me the link to the specifications?

:thinking:

honestaitch
Visitor

The Sony website for the product states the following:

Network features

Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi®)

YES (with optional dongle)

Wi-Fi® Direct

YES (firmware upgrade needed)

Here is a link to the website:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tv-94-37-lcd/kdl-37ex524#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

Wi-Fi Direct does not require the dongle but the Wireless LAN Feature does!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

WiFi Direct is just a WiFi connection that does not require a network router.

I would read that as needing the optional dongle for ANY WiFi connection including WiFi Direct.  The TV does not have built in WiFi.

You will find firmware and software updates on the Support Page for your model - it looks like there is a Firmware update dated November 2011: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KDL-37EX524/updates

Let's see if anyone else has any ideas here - otherwise try phoning Sony Support for advice.

:thinking:

honestaitch
Visitor

I disagree, as the help for Wi-Fi Direct explains how to connect to your home router.

This is explained at this Sony site:

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/lcd-television/tutorials/sharing/article/id/1237479586895

drhowells
New

I think you are getting confused between Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct. The link you posted explains how to connect to a router via Wi-Fi. To do this you need the Wi-Fi dongle to connect.

Wi-Fi Direct is a standard that uses Wi-Fi to connect to other devices with this facility. It uses your Wi-Fi connection to do this, but does not need a router.

So basically, you need the Wi-Fi dongle for your TV to be able to use the Wi-Fi Direct functionality.

profile.country.hu_HU.title
katonat2
Visitor

Hi All,

I bought a KDL-24 EX320  and met the almost the same problem.
However I could set up the WLAN+Router easily but when I wanted to try the WiFI-direct using a Samsung Galaxy S2 I faced the following problem. The connection was OK as both TV and phone showed the connection.
But when I tried to send a photo to TV the connection broke. I tried several times without success.

I listed on TV the connected devices and foud that my connected device is not compatible (however DLNA and WiFi-direct cerified). I also tried it with an Ipod Touch 4 but the result is the same. Network of TV recognised, connected but nothing more.

What should I do more?