Join now - be part of our community!

How works Data Saver Android 7?

SOLVED
Alessio_841
Contributor

How works Data Saver Android 7?

Hi Community,

Andoid 7 introduces a new feature called Data Saver, but how this works exactly?

It limits background data ONLY for apps or limits background data for apps and Android's system services?

Thanks to all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jonas
Master

Hello again!

Sorry for the late response. Slightly_frowning_Face

You will not have to disable background data for each application when using the Data saver feature, you can as I wrote earlier make exceptions for specific apps or services in the Data saver feature in your phone.

So for example, if you disable or enable background data for a specific app in the Data saver feature you will not have to go into Settings > apps > name of the app and disable/enable background data there as well, same with system applications.

I'm sorry if my previous answers didn't answer your questions fully, please let me know if anything is unclear! Slightly_smiling_Face

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Jonas
Master

Hi @Alessio_84,

When Data saver is on, most apps and services only get background data via Wi-Fi.

And when Data saver is on and Wi-Fi isn't available, some apps and services may not be able to send and receive data in the background.

If you still want an app to receive background data when Wi-Fi isn't active and you have the Data saver feature enabled you can make an exception for these applications in Settings > Data usage > Data saver > find the app or service > drag the slider to the right.

I hope that answers your question! Slightly_smiling_Face

Alessio_841
Contributor

Thank you Jonas for the answer!

I would have more detailed info about to fully understand the feature.

In particular, Data Saver (when enabled and not under Wi-Fi) blocks ALL Android's system services that use background data sync or not?

I mean, it blocks ALL Android's system services that is possible to block manually under the menu's voice "limit background data" (Settings > Apps > Show system > Limit background data)?

If yes, when I enable Data Saver I don't block nomore manually every Android's system service as I do now?

I don't talk about the apps bacause I know that there is a whitelist for those I want exclude from limting.

Sorry for the question, but I would understand totally as it works to have the best battery life.

Thank you so much!

Jonas
Master

Hello again!

I just had a look in a phone running Android 7.0 and when you activated the Data saver feature and press just below it and it will show you a list of apps, here you have 3 dots in top right corner > Show system.

Now it will show you system applications and services that you can whitelist.

Examples of apps/services in this list are Google Play services, Google Play store, download manager and so forth.

If you are wondering about some specific apps or services you are welcome to name them and I will have a look! Slightly_smiling_Face

Let me know if that answers your question! Slightly_smiling_Face

Alessio_841
Contributor

Thank you again for your answer, Jonas, very complete and parfect!

Before accept as a solution your previuos answer, I need a specific answer to you to well understand as I must do when Android 7.0 arrives on my X Compact.

Now I have Android 6.0.1 and I have activated Limit background data for all my apps except Sony Weather and for all Android's system services that allow this (Settings > Apps > 3 dots > Show system > Data usage > Limit background data).

My specific question is:

With Data Saver enabled, I don't enable no more Limit background data for every Android's system services; that's correct? Yes or not?

All background datas are disabled for the Data Saver feature, that' correct?

Sorry if I precise, but I think this feature is more useful for all users that need to prolongue battery life in day usage with FULL control on apps and services running in background.

Please, read what I do now and answer me if I must do the same when arrives Android 7.0 or not.

Thanks again, very great supporto from you! :smileysmileythumbsup

Jonas
Master

Hello again!

Sorry for the late response. Slightly_frowning_Face

You will not have to disable background data for each application when using the Data saver feature, you can as I wrote earlier make exceptions for specific apps or services in the Data saver feature in your phone.

So for example, if you disable or enable background data for a specific app in the Data saver feature you will not have to go into Settings > apps > name of the app and disable/enable background data there as well, same with system applications.

I'm sorry if my previous answers didn't answer your questions fully, please let me know if anything is unclear! Slightly_smiling_Face

Alessio_841
Contributor

Hi again Jonas, not worry for your delay! :smileysmileythumbsup:

Your answer is PERFECT, it fully answers to my technical question and it is very complete!

I'm sure that most other users will find this thread useful to know how save battery and datas by Data Saver feature and, especially, they will find your answer the better one to fully understand it!

Your previuos answer was clear, but I wanted to know more details and compare with I do now on Android 6. :smileysmileythumbsup:

Thank you so much again for your GREAT answer and support, very useful, serious and complete!

I wish you and ALL your Sony's team a Merry Christmas and happy New Year! Party

My best regards, Jonas! :smileysmileythumbsup:

Jonas
Master

No problem at all!

Sorry it took some time to give you the correct answer.

I totally agree that this will be useful for other users as well, so thank you for asking about this feature! Slightly_smiling_Face

Same to you and have a great day and let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with! Slightly_smiling_Face