Join now - be part of our community!

Selective WiFi malfunction

SOLVED
xznewbie
Contributor

Selective WiFi malfunction

Greetings guys.. A few days ago I traveled to to my wife family residence. I tried to log in my XZ to their DSL broadband. WiFi and noticed that I got IP connection failure. I checked the connection and it's unable automatically generate an IP. I TRIED to modify the settings by clicking the. Static instead of the DHCP.. But when. I tried click Save. It becomes shaded.. So I was unable to connect to the broadband connection.
This is the first time that happened to an Xperia device.
Does anybody have similar experience like this,, where your gadgets have Selective WiFi connectivity..?
Is this related to nougat update as my previous Xperia are kit kat and marshmallow OS....? 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rickard
Master

To set a static IP, you need to know what to use for that specific router so there's no general static IP-settings that will always work i'm afraid. You need to know what IP-range that is used by the router and the routers IP address. If you don't know what IP-addresses that are already in use on that network there's also a risk that you set an IP already in use which will not work either.

With that said, most consumer routers i've seen are by default on 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x range. I have seen other ranges used by default as well though.

For 192.168.0.x, valid settings would be:

IP address: 192.168.0.x where x is a number between 2 and 254

Gateway: 192.168.0.x (this is the IP of the router, usually x is 1)

Network prefic length: 24

DNS 1: usually can be set to same as gateway or you could use Google DNS, 8.8.8.8

DNS 2: Not necessary but if using Google, can be set to 8.8.4.4

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

have you tried connecting to the router while on safe mode?

try to restart both router and phone, and try to set up connection again

xznewbie
Contributor

I did not... It will be a long time before I visit her place again to verify your suggestions. Thanks anyway for your comments.
Rickard
Master

Sorry to hear that you were unable to connect with WiFi.

I'm afraid it's hard to say what might have caused the phone to not get any IP from the router but if it works with other networks i would not suspect there's anyting wrong with your phone. Possible reasons are that the router was not set up with DHCP or that it had MAC-filtering enabled. Later versions of Android also has a new DHCP-client. I've seen a couple of cases where it was needed to switch back to the old one from the phones developer options with a certain router.

If "Save" is greyed out when you modify a network to a static IP, please make sure that you have typed in a valid IP-address. It might also be prefilled with an IP when you select "Static" but you still need to type one in yourself to be able to save.

xznewbie
Contributor

Hmm.. That sounds interesting Richard..! Actuall

Hello Richard.. That sounds interesting.. I will keep that in mind.. BTW.. Do you have some pointers how to create an IP for Xperia xz.. Say an example that works..?

Rickard
Master

To set a static IP, you need to know what to use for that specific router so there's no general static IP-settings that will always work i'm afraid. You need to know what IP-range that is used by the router and the routers IP address. If you don't know what IP-addresses that are already in use on that network there's also a risk that you set an IP already in use which will not work either.

With that said, most consumer routers i've seen are by default on 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x range. I have seen other ranges used by default as well though.

For 192.168.0.x, valid settings would be:

IP address: 192.168.0.x where x is a number between 2 and 254

Gateway: 192.168.0.x (this is the IP of the router, usually x is 1)

Network prefic length: 24

DNS 1: usually can be set to same as gateway or you could use Google DNS, 8.8.8.8

DNS 2: Not necessary but if using Google, can be set to 8.8.4.4

xznewbie
Contributor

Thanks a lot for that comprehensive answer Rickard..! You gave me many ideas to try if that incident happens again.
Rickard
Master

No problem Slightly_smiling_Face

And in case you should start notice that this happens in general and with different WiFi networks, please let us know.