Join now - be part of our community!

Is the Sony HVR-A1E video camera any good?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
o_prutz
Visitor

Is the Sony HVR-A1E video camera any good?

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a secondhand Sony HVR-A1E video camera to use for travel and wildlife docs. Has anyone got/used one and what do they think of it?

I'd need to buy a tripod, mic and telephoto lens convertor for it as well so does anyone have any suggestions for any of these that would work well with this camera - bearing in mind it is pretty small. I've got a limited budget too so where is best to look for used/secondhand options?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Cheapest I have come across with everything you need to get going is about £1500 to £2000. For that money, you could pick up a new NEX-VG10E.

Ok the debate of a professional unit of the A1E vs a pro-sumer model might not be for everyones liking but considering batteries will be newer, should in theory will last longer then using Memory Sticks or SD cards on the VG10E means less space taken up in a travel bag.

Since a massive array of Sony DSLR lenses could also be used, you could then look to find a 2x teleconverted and something like a 400mm lens for some serious work.

Just a thought.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Cheapest I have come across with everything you need to get going is about £1500 to £2000. For that money, you could pick up a new NEX-VG10E.

Ok the debate of a professional unit of the A1E vs a pro-sumer model might not be for everyones liking but considering batteries will be newer, should in theory will last longer then using Memory Sticks or SD cards on the VG10E means less space taken up in a travel bag.

Since a massive array of Sony DSLR lenses could also be used, you could then look to find a 2x teleconverted and something like a 400mm lens for some serious work.

Just a thought.

I have owned a HVR-A1E (pal) and also own an NTSC HVR-V1U. Both produce excellent HD 1080i definition. I have owned both cameras for many years for use in the production of Industrial Video's (My Profession)

The HVR-A1U is smaller, lighter, and better in low light conditions. You can experience poor sound from the A1E and for that matter from the V1U when the audio lead/plug is damaged or dirty connection in the audio plug.

Cleaning with a spirit based cleaner for electrical connections should solve the problem. Even without the extra top mounted mic sound from the built in stereo mics work well for its size. A great camera, easy to use, and very good stable pictures.

Steve.