Join now - be part of our community!

Impending loss of Guide Plus+

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sue1512
Visitor

Impending loss of Guide Plus+

I have a Sony HXD890 DVD recorder and last night saw a message on Guide Plus+ about the loss of service from the 1st of January. Apparently this affects 'older' DVD recorders, including the HXD890 and many similar models. It is not being carried any more by analog ITV.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I bought the set with the intention of using Guide Plus+, and there was never any indication that the service would not be continued. I live in an area where it is difficult to get permission for dishes. (Babergh Council are Rubbish). I can apparently use Freeview EPG, but this is not as user friendly as Guide+. What are Sony going to do to help owners of these sets. The sets have only been available since March 2008 so cannot be considered obsolete.

http://www.europe.guideplus.com/en/ASO_UK.html

39 REPLIES 39
casso3
Visitor

I have the same problem with my HDX890. I have checked and re-checked the connections. I rang Sony and was told to check that the EPG was set on Guide Digital and not Guide plus. It was. I was then told it needed to be repaired but reading the posts on here I realise that it probably doesn't.. Is there any way round it? I can't record anything on timer. How do I get Freeview EPG?

Message was edited by: casso3

Message was edited by: casso3

casso3
Visitor

I sorted it. We needed an aerial lead from the wall socket to "Digital aerial in" socket on the DVDR, then another one from "Digital Aerial Out" to "Analogue Aerial In" on the DVDR, then a third one from "Analogue Aerial Out" to TV aerial "In". I set the EPG to "Guide Digital" and I got the guide back.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I'm happy that it worked for you, but it seems quite strange that you need to feed also the analogue tuner to get the EPG Guide working on the digital one... I'm using it in Italy with just the digital in connected to the aerial and digital out to the TV and it works. Sadly it has nothing to do with the Guideplus features, but it seems we cannot do anything ...

casso3
Visitor

We get Guide Digital which I think is different from Guide Plus but it works the same. When we go on to the Guide the TV automatically goes on to analogue before we can use the Guide. I don't know why. Maybe because we do not go fully digital in this area until 2012.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If it works for you it doesn't make sense to investigate more, but the switching to analogue TV is not at all needed and/or normal and it doesn't matter if analogue signals still exist or not. On the contrary, since "Guide Digital" is available only on DVB-T, if you push the Guide button when looking at an analogue channel it should say "feature unavailable" or something similar.

Guideplus needed (on this machine) an available analogue host channel, but it doesn't exist anymore and in any case it was transparent to the user.

Anyway, as I said, if now you are satisfied that's it.

My model is RDR-Hxd770/HXD870HXD970/HXD1070 I have lost Guide Plus this has happened before and I have done it before but can not do so now.    DBE.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It's long since Guideplus is not working anymore on these devices... I'm really surprised to talk about it in 2015 :slight_smile:

Guideplus in these recorder need to take the TV guide from an analogical channel (eve if they spot an internal digital tuner)  that still send the info via the teletext protocol konwn as VBI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_blanking_interval

Where do you live? In Italy it has been stopped 5 years ago, and we are not known to be so advanced :slight_smile:

profile.country.NL.title
so625frans
Explorer

Het guide plus systeem werkt al enige tijd niet meer.

recorder type is RDRHX725.

profile.country.GB.title
tony.goodband
Explorer

Dear Sony Team,

I have an old DVD player RDR-HXD870 PURCHASED IN 2007,  having brought  it out of hibernation sincecancelling my cable TV, is it still able to receive the Guide Plus + system or do I now have to change tv listings to Guide Digital.

Many thanks Tony Goodband

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

See Rooobb's reply two posts above yours.

Cheers