Join now - be part of our community!

Losing Channels on RDR HXD-770

SOLVED
PBaines
Explorer

Losing Channels on RDR HXD-770

Hi

After a thorough search of the net I can't find a solution with my problem - hope someone here can assist.

I have a RDR HXD-770 Freeview/DVD player. After playing a DVD or recording from the hard drive, (i.e. after pressing 'Stop'), the front display shows D--- and no channels (including TV Guide) are available. The only things I can access is the DVD, the HDD and System menu.

I have tried switching off at wall for a period, checked all connections and also carried out a system reset (holding stop and power button), but no change.

Therefore everytime I watch something on DVD/HDD I have to re-tune channels afterwards to watch anything on TV.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PBaines
Explorer

Hi Roob

Just an update on this. I followed your instructions re: burning the CD - and as you suggested - that is where the problem lied.

I burnt the CD using Nero and followed the instructions of updating new firmware as per Sony website -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/RDR-HXD770/downloads/FW_DVDR_170

It worked just as it said it would in the link. I panicked as the D--- message came up again, but then I remembered I had to retune the channels and since then the freeview has worked fine!

Just wanted to use this opportunity to say thank you.

Phil

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi PBaines,

first of all you should check if you have the latest firmware installed (1.70). If not, install it.

Afterward the procedure is the following:

• reset the recorder (stop + poweroff)
  • unplug from main for at least one minute
  • plug it and follow the easy setup procedure

Hope it helps

PBaines
Explorer

Thanks rooobb. I will check the firmware and re-do the reset procedure when I get home later.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Phil

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Here is the link on how to check and download the firmware.

PBaines
Explorer

Hi

I have now tried the frimware update and no joy - I followed the  instructions on the link (thanks rooob).

The firmware is version 1.58 and after downloading the latest firware and inserting the CD into the player I only got up to stage point 7 on the 'Firmware update procedure'. Although the process should last a couple of minutes, the disc  tray opened and immediately shut again, and then the DVD player turned itself off.

So I still have version 1.58 but am unable to update the firmware. Any ideas thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Phil

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi Phil,

normally the problem is in the way you burn your CD (I highly suggest a CW/RW one so you can make some tests...). Be sure you burn an image (not copy file) with the parameter suggested. If you are using native Win7 functionalities, mostly report that it doesn't work, so I suggest using some cd burner utility (Nero is working for sure). In case you don't succeed I saw in other thread that Sony support is able to ship a cd to customer prefilled with the fw.

Hope it helps

nobbyclarkuk
Explorer

Hi, sorry to butt in...

My HXD970 is exhibiting similar symptoms. Whenever I switch it off, it loses all of the BBC Freeview channels; other channels e.g. ITV, C4, E4 etc remain, but all of the BBC channels are lost.

They return if I re-tune/replace/add channels, but are then lost again when I switch off.

I am in Perth, Scotland, so I don't think it has anything to do with 4G interference.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You didn't read all the thread :slight_smile:

Have a look at my first answer and go through the reset procedure. 1.70 fw is a prerequisite, but still have this bug that shows up from time to time. The workaround is fully working, so don't worry. Bear in mind that you'll loose all your settings and timers, the HDD content remains untouched.

nobbyclarkuk
Explorer

Yes, I have the latest firmware so will give it a try.

PBaines
Explorer

Hi Roob

Just an update on this. I followed your instructions re: burning the CD - and as you suggested - that is where the problem lied.

I burnt the CD using Nero and followed the instructions of updating new firmware as per Sony website -

It worked just as it said it would in the link. I panicked as the D--- message came up again, but then I remembered I had to retune the channels and since then the freeview has worked fine!

Just wanted to use this opportunity to say thank you.

Phil