Join now - be part of our community!

Windows Configuration and service pack

profile.country.en_GB.title
grador
Visitor

Windows Configuration and service pack

Hello,

The Vaio (VPCJ11M1E) has Windows 7 and McAfee pre-installed. After a particular Windows update (and it was interupted) , the windows service pack1 will not install, and Windows 7 seems unable to configure files , or at least not configure Microsoft Office. Hence I cannot word, excel or Outlook (my email).

The usual fixes dont work. is this a special problem  and will it need the PC to be recovered to factory settings?  Thank you to experts in the forum,  Graham

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
nikkilim
Visitor

You mentioned that the update was interrupted. Files might be corrupt at that podint. You can also run a System Restore, different from OS reload. restore it to a popint before the Windows update and try installing MS Office again. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Graham,

If a system restore to a date prior the interupted Windows update fails to make a difference then have a look at the following link to see whether there is anything of help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505743

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
grador
Visitor

hello again Nikkilm,

Yes MS Office is installed and you helpfully mention restoring to a point prior to that interupted update. The question is how to do that because other updates have come and worked but not SP1 and the use of the restore function seems to restore to a point close to now and this is not early enough?

That is: it is not before the bad update and corruption.

By the way, the error messages from attempted installation of SP1 is 0x80070490. The windows site says this indicates corruption in the "Component Based Service (CBS) Manifest". This sounds deep and complex. What I know is that I cannot open Office applications (word, excel, outlook) from the start menu or from a memory stick.

Is a system or startup repair the only solution? Tahnk you Grador