Join now - be part of our community!

A7 Mark 2 weather sealing and shutter count

Pasbags
Explorer

A7 Mark 2 weather sealing and shutter count

Recently Picked up an A7 Mark 2 upgraded from an A6000 so far really enjoying the camera purchased it with the kit lens and the Ziess 55mm F1.8 to go with it. But I had some questions regarding the weather sealing on the camera. Does anyone know just how wet it can get before you need to start worrying about it turning into a brick obviously I'm not expecting gopro waterproofing. but could i be out in a rain showing without having to worry or do i need to take the shot and immediately throw it back in the camera bag. Same question for the two lenses again i don't expect to be able to take them under water but if I need to get a few shots it would be nice to know how long they can be out in the harsh environment. and my final question is about the shutter count I know the shutter is rated very high on the A7R Mark 2 does anyone know the rating for my camera. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Connor

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

Welcome pasbags!

The weather-resistance has never been very clear: officially is't dust- and moisture resistant which does not mean that it's weatherproof. Some people have used it succesfully in the rain, but it's nowhere near as weather sealed as a Pentax camera for instance. My personal advice would be to somewhat be careful as Sony probably won't fix it when bricked under warranty...

As for the shutter count: there are no official numbers for the other A7 models. But Sony says in an interview "double the life expectance of the previous model", meaning the A7R. My safe bet would be that the A7 models are good for 100 000 - 200 000 clicks. Some will get more, some will get less. You won't find an official number for it (as they don't want to make promises).

EDIT: I wanted to say: But Sony says in an interview about the A7RII that it has "double the life expectance of the previous model", meaning the A7R.

Thanks For you reply appreciate it. I will just have to play it safe grab the shot then throw it back in the bag I haven't seen any gaskets on the back of the lens nor any of the doors so I imagine it can take a bit of rain or a splash but I don't think I'll be shooting in a downpour.

And I wanted to know the rated shutter count more for when I come to getting rid of the camera if the rating is say fifty thousand when i sell it I like to know there is good life left in the shutter for the person purchasing it from me but i did get a three year world wide warranty with it so if the shutter packs up it isn't really my problem. but thanks for your reply and input.

Many thanks

Connor

profile.country.NL.title
albertdros
Contributor

I thought Sony advertised with a 500.000 shutter count on the A7RII portmixus :slight_smile: So that's absolutely amazing.

And regarding weather sealing: yeah, they are not officially weather sealed. They can take some rain but I'd never use them in pouring rain. I've heard reports from people whose a7 got broken in light rain, but I also heard people saying they used it in quiet extreme weather conditions. I wouldn't take my chances.

profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

Thanks @albertdros I re-read my text and saw that I had omitted a part in my sentence, probably thinking quicker than my abilities to write it down :wink:

I think if it's pouring with rain but I need to grab the shot i'll just have to take the camera out grab the shot then dry it off it seems like they've pulled a lot of stuff about them being weather resistant from there product pages.

And as for the shutter it sounds almost identical to the a7r ii shutter perhaps they use the same one it's not out of the relm of possibility but i've got a three year warrenty on the camera so i think i'll just keep on snapping away and if it breaks its there problem to fix it :slight_smile:

profile.country.NL.title
albertdros
Contributor

You should watch out though! If it gets damaged from water, it's not covered by warranty.

Pasbags
Explorer

Oh of course I'm being especially careful seeing as they've removed all traces on the product page of it being weather sealed but i've got insurance cover for that and if i have to sacrifice the camera to get the shot so be it haha. but my warranty covers everything else and it's transferable so maybe if they release something that is actually weather sealed in the next year or so i'd have no problems getting rid of it for the next best thing.  

But i still do think it's a bit sly of sony to pull all that info from the product pages as that was one of the main selling points for me not that i'll be in the rain forest or in the middle of the ocean but being able to take a shot if it's raining without worrying about it becoming a brick.

profile.country.NL.title
albertdros
Contributor

Removed? They didn't remove anything. They never said it was weather sealed. They said it was 'weather resistant' meaning it can take some light rain I guess, but definitely not sealed!

But I agree with you that you have to do everything to get the perfect shot! It's in those moments you really stop caring about your gear and do everything to make your picture. I totally know the feeling :slight_smile:

Pasbags
Explorer

Sorry that's what i meant weather resistant haha but they seem to have removed any mention of that from the product page http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7m2-body-kit i did read a few threads where some user had bricked cameras from even small water droplets now how true that is i can't be sure they might have taken it for a swim and don't want to admit it haha although this video shows an a7 getting quite wet and seems to be fine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7hvJTGW4BA so i think it's a case of just going out and shooting and enjoying it if the camera breaks it can always be replaced let's just hope it writes the shot to the card before it does though haha. 

I'm also curious about my lenses weather resistance i've got the zeiss 55 and the kit lens but i'm too scared to even clean the dust off the ziess it let alone put it under the tap haha