Join now - be part of our community!

i own an alpha a65, is it possible to take double or multiple exposures

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
dachaigh
New

i own an alpha a65, is it possible to take double or multiple exposures

i own an alpha a65,can anyone tell me if it is possible to take double or multiple ex[osures?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

I think the question was about 'true' double-exposure, Si. The sort of thing you used to see a lot in amateur photo competitions using film cameras; with an SLR, the film advance could be disengaged so that the lever only cocked the shutter. You made two exposures (or multiple exposures) on the same fram of film and achieved nice 'ghostly' effects. Or ghastly, if you weren't so lucky :dizzy:

I don't think this is possible with any Sony alpha, unfortunately. Just not a Sony 'thing': I belive it's very much a Nikon 'thing' and one of those odd differences between brands that seems to remain that way throughout the range. There were rumours that the a99 might be set up to do this but as far as I know, It isn't.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
silawre
New

Welcome to Sony forums,

It depends what you mean by double or multiple exposures? The camera can be switched into continous shooting mode where the camera will continue to fire the shutter until the buffer is full or you take your finger off the shutter button. This is excellent for action photographs.

It can also be switched into AutoHDR mode where the camera will take three exposures in quick sucsession and combine them in camera. The is very useful when shooting in difficult lighting conditions without the support of a tripod.

You can also setup the camera to capture between 3 and 5 exposures bracketed by 0.3 or 0.7 of a stop. This is good if you have difficult lighting conditions and want to bring the detail out in the hightlights and shadows.

The link below will take you to the online user manuals which explain each in more detail and show you how to get to the features on your A65.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SLT-A65/manuals

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Si

Message was edited by: silawre

Mick2011
New

I think the question was about 'true' double-exposure, Si. The sort of thing you used to see a lot in amateur photo competitions using film cameras; with an SLR, the film advance could be disengaged so that the lever only cocked the shutter. You made two exposures (or multiple exposures) on the same fram of film and achieved nice 'ghostly' effects. Or ghastly, if you weren't so lucky :dizzy:

I don't think this is possible with any Sony alpha, unfortunately. Just not a Sony 'thing': I belive it's very much a Nikon 'thing' and one of those odd differences between brands that seems to remain that way throughout the range. There were rumours that the a99 might be set up to do this but as far as I know, It isn't.

Cheers

Mick

dachaigh
New

what you are talking about is exactly what i was refering to, not something i did very often but i wanted confirmation of my suspicions. i have no doubt it could be done by an editing software program,but i am more old school and try to take the photo with correct exposure and use the minimum need for editing where possible,many thanks for tthe quick reply

regards stuart

silawre
New

My bad :laughing:

Si

Mick2011
New

No worries Si :cool:

Stuart, the only other way of multi-exposing (other than post-processing with layers) would be using multiple flash exposures in a darkened room or studio, during a (very) long exposure. This could also work outdoors, at night, perhaps using some ambient light mixed with flash.

Just an idea.

Mick

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

This kind of multiexposure is not possible with the NEX/Alpha cameras. It has to be "simualted" in postprocessing using an image editor which supports layers. Of course software like Photoshop etc can do this but you can also use freeware like the well known Paint.net

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

Using layers it is possible to create multiexposure effects with far more options than what is possible with a camera doing the double/multiple exposure (e.g. change the transparency of each  layer, use only parts of the layer etc)

Kind Regards

Michael