Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S370 - Audio/video stutter on new Blu-ray (Kung Fu Panda 3)

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
CH1291a
New

BDP-S370 - Audio/video stutter on new Blu-ray (Kung Fu Panda 3)

Hi,

I am experiencing audio and video stutter on a brand new Blu-ray disc that makes it unwatchable:

- Kung FU Panda 3 (not 3D), region B, UK edition, EAN 5039036077095

All other (older) Blu-rays that I've tried so far still play fine.

The firmware is up-to-date (M03.R.804, 7 Jan 2015), but searches hint that this might be a software problem and a post about a Philips player tends to confirm there may be an issue with the encoding/software on this relatively newly issued Blu-ray.

- http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/archive/index.php/t-38935.html

Can any other users or someone from Sony confirm this?

Is there a new firmware update in the pipeline to fix this? - I have read that Sony are very good at supporting their players and this one is "only" 6 years old.

I don't really want to have to downgrade to a DVD and I don't think I should have to buy a new player every 5 or so years just to be able to watch newly released discs. I would definitely now only buy a well supported brand as software is so heavily involved in the media.

Many thanks for any feedback

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have escalated this thread to Sony Support to highlight and make them aware of this issue.  Its probably another iteration of copyright protection.

Cheers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have escalated this thread to Sony Support to highlight and make them aware of this issue.  Its probably another iteration of copyright protection.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
CH1291a
New

Hi Quinnicus,

Many thanks for the prompt reply and confirmation of the likely problem. I'll take this as the solution, it's probably asking a bit much for a direct reply and solution date!

I'll try to wait patiently for a firmware update, here's hoping it's not too long  😉

profile.country.GB.title
CH1291a
New

Update:

Sony first level support contacted me, and after some thorough confirmation of the device and disc in question, escalated to the next level.

Then it went quiet for a while... until I enquired and received a response from customer relations. It seems that firmware support for older models can become uneconomical to provide due to changing technology and hardware complications, etc. thus no firmware updates were currently scheduled for this device.

I decided to upgrade to a Sony BDP-S1700, which is a nice, easy to use, perfectly functional and very good value device (and it includes a Netflix App). This played the disc flawlessly, thus indicating it was a firmware issue, thus also a de/encryption issue.

My main reason for the upgrade was that it also occured to me that newer Blu-rays may also not play on the older device, quite important really.

Sony support has been excellent throughout and I was offered a "commercial solution" to the problem. I think I can safely rely on them to provide firmware support for as long as practical.

One lesson here, it that these firmware updates are not just bug fixes, but also include support for newer software on newer discs.

This is now my third Sony DVD/Blu-ray player in a row...