Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-N7200W And HDCP 2.2

profile.country.GB.title
jonmell
Explorer

BDV-N7200W And HDCP 2.2

Hi - I have a BDV-N7200W with my HD tv but planning on getting a new 4K model (e.g. Sony XE90).

is the BDV-N7200W HDCP 2.2 compatible? I will mainly use it with Virgin V6 box in the U.K. and Apple 4K but didn't know if HDCP 2.2 would prevent this setup from working. 

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@jonmell

Hi,

I am not sure if I can provide the legitimate answer, it may be that you need to contact Sony Support.

I cannot find any literature that states the BDV-N7200W has HDCP 2.2 copy protection to enable consumer 4K playback. I do know that the HDMI ports are version 1.4 whereas usually ports that are HDCP 2.2 enabled are at least version 2.0 which also enable the higher frame rate (4K/60fps) please see here

As you will read from the link HDMI 1.4 is not much use for connecting consumer 4K content to your 4K TV and aside from its weakness at handling ultra HD video at high frame rates it is the main reason why HDMI 1.4 does not usually include HDCP 2.2 compatibility

I have also read that does not necessarily mean that HDMI ver 1.4 cannot be enabled :confused:

I think the likelihood is that you do not have HDCP 2.2

I own the BDV-N9100W system which has the same ports as yours and is definitely not HDCP 2.2  I have recently purchased the UBP-X800 UHD Player which is great because it has two HDMI ports, one 2.0 HDCP 2.2 enabled, the other an audio-only 1.4 output for those who need to route multi-channel audio directly to an AV receiver. So, the 1.4 plugs into the N9100W for audio and the 2.0 plugs into the compatible 2.0 port on my television. I can now select whether audio comes from the Home Theatre system or from the television. Presto, best of both worlds.

Perhaps you can configure your set up in a similar way ?

Apologies for all the abbreviations and numbers, I hope it makes sense - I am quite lost now !

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
jonmell
Explorer

Helpful - thank you!

so given my virgin box and apple 4K just have the single hdmi out sounds like best would be to connect those direct to the 4K tv via HDMI then run an optical cable from the tv to the BDV-N7200W... unless anyone knows if that wouldn't work?

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi again, pleased the info was helpful.

I don't think you need to bother with the optical connection as the N7200W will be best connected via the HDMI arc port on your new TV. You are right to connect the other units straight to the TV as the newer TV models ports should all be HDCP 2.2 enabled. In theory, during playback you should still be able to switch from TV speakers to Audio System as you probably do now thereby able to enjoy surround sound. I could be wrong as I am unable to test this. 

Is it a show stopper if you can only listen to audio through the TV ?

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
jonmell
Explorer

Thanks. Have invested in the 5.1 system so want to use it.

Net seems to be that I can't connect my cable/Apple TV 4K to the BDV-N7200W and pass thru to the TV (as I do today) so connect the boxes direct to the TV via hdmi then hdmi arc or optical back to the BDV.

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Exactly right, hopefully the audio will pass through. 

Let us know I how you get on

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
jonmell
Explorer

Will do - currently negotiating with domestic CFO on purchase of said 4K TV... 😉