Join now - be part of our community!

Sony svl2413m1eb cannot access UEFI menu (Vaio Assist) anymore

Sony svl2413m1eb cannot access UEFI menu (Vaio Assist) anymore

Good Morning!

I have this computer for some months and all was OK until I have the insane idea to try the last alpha of Haiku OS but as any ISO it doesn't boot (i've tried Acronis Partition Manager and some Linux ISOs and no one of them booted: "no os found"), I suppose this is the problem to use a so new tecnology as UEFI, right?

So I have tried as a last resort to select "Show BIOS" in the VAIO Assist menu and look if something interesting was in it two voices taken my interest:

1. BIOS Legacy Mode that I don't selected as I feared that Windows 8.1 would have not booted anymore
  2. Boot using external device, this seemed interesting and innocous so I selected it and save the modifications then forgotten it!

Some time after I wanted to retry to boot Haiku OS, again, so I Shut Down Windows 8 correctly and the machine goes off correctly then I've pressed VAIO ASSIT and the PC restarted... but only a black screen is shown, nothing more... it was trying to access the DVD-RW and the external USB drive (at least the noise indicated clearly this) but nothing was shown on screen, the VAIO logo is no more.

Luckily using the power button the normal Windows 8.1 boot sequence continues without problems apart it is a little more slow and no VAIO logo, again, is shown.

I've tried to access the BIOS from Windows 8 (using PC Setup -> Advanced Setup -> Recovery) but I got the same result: a black screen!

So how I can access the BIOS, again, and put that not so innocous voice (boot from external device) to "no" again?

IMHO this is a BIOS but it should not supposed to happen...

And how I could boot legacy ISOs in this machine? The majority of images pretend a legacy BIOS exists to boot...

0 REPLIES 0