Join now - be part of our community!

Standby Power consumption when recording set

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
traveltiger
Visitor

Standby Power consumption when recording set

Hi,
Does anyone have any idea what the Power consumption of the KDL-CX523 is when  in Standby and there is a recording or reminder set. There is an  additional yellow light showing on the front of the set when this is the  case. Looking at the documentation for my set it there is some mention  of Standby EPG mode which uses 15 watts, standard Standby is only 0.3  watts.
My problem here is that if I want to use the HDD recording facility to  record a series then my set will potentially be burning at least 15  watts all the time. That seems quite a lot to me.
If I had a Power Meter I would like to check this out but unfortunately I`m a bit skint after buying the set.
AW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Does anyone have any idea what the Power consumption of the KDL-CX523 is  when  in Standby and there is a recording or reminder set. There is an   additional yellow light showing on the front of the set when this is  the  case. Looking at the documentation for my set it there is some  mention  of Standby EPG mode which uses 15 watts, standard Standby is  only 0.3  watts.

Hi traveltiger,

welcome to Questions & Answers..

I didn't know the answer to your question but asked someone who knew someone who did.. Hope that made sense..:smileylaugh:

Here is what was supplied..

"When the timer has been set either for a recording or reminder the set  will enter full standby (0.3W) shortly after it is switched to standby.   Shortly before the timer event is due to start the set will partially  power on to 'EPG Standby' to acquire the EPG information.  In general  use of the timer will not make a significant difference to the standby  power consumption."

Hope that answers your concerns..:smileyhappy:

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Bravia55HX

Hi,

really it is not nessessary to burden yourself with worry over a few watts!, EPG recordings are not done 24/7 and for the few odd times it is on would hardly show up on your energy bills! all these new tv's have some of the best energy ratings for their class even when they are on, even mine is A rated at that size!,

when one buys a new tv, watches it and enjoys it, who cares about a few measley watts!

KDL-CX520
Visitor

traveltiger wrote:

EPG mode which uses 15 watts, standard Standby is only 0.3  watts.
My problem here is that if I want to use the HDD recording facility to  record a series then my set will potentially be burning at least 15  watts all the time. That seems quite a lot to me.

Hi,

HDD recording need additional power to keep the HDD and its controller powered. I believe this is normal

Regarding it is 15W or So , Could you advise what reference for that on Sony websites ?

Regards

traveltiger
Visitor

Hi,

In my manual it says that Standby EPG mode uses 15 watts and standard Standby is only 0.3  watts. What I`m not clear about is what standby EPG mode is and how you would get into it. Does the additional yellow light indicate it is in this mode?

TT

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Does anyone have any idea what the Power consumption of the KDL-CX523 is  when  in Standby and there is a recording or reminder set. There is an   additional yellow light showing on the front of the set when this is  the  case. Looking at the documentation for my set it there is some  mention  of Standby EPG mode which uses 15 watts, standard Standby is  only 0.3  watts.

Hi traveltiger,

welcome to Questions & Answers..

I didn't know the answer to your question but asked someone who knew someone who did.. Hope that made sense..:smileylaugh:

Here is what was supplied..

"When the timer has been set either for a recording or reminder the set  will enter full standby (0.3W) shortly after it is switched to standby.   Shortly before the timer event is due to start the set will partially  power on to 'EPG Standby' to acquire the EPG information.  In general  use of the timer will not make a significant difference to the standby  power consumption."

Hope that answers your concerns..:smileyhappy:

traveltiger
Visitor

Thanks for that Thalamus.

One more small question.

What is the difference between standby where the TV is switched of by the remote (Red light on front panel on) and switching the set off from the switch on the right had side (Red light off).

In both cases the TV will respond to the remote control to start up.

TT

Bravia55HX

Hi,

yes im curious about that one as well even though i have been led to believe that once the switch is on it remains on (you dont need to touch it)

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hello TravelTiger,

That is true, in both standby modes the TV will response for remote control

The difference will be in timer mode , when using the side panel power switch, the timer will not power ON the TV , i didnot have time to try that , you may try and tell us.

Just a note : Some other models of Sony TV has panel power switch with two positions OFF / ON , in those models the power totally disconnected at position OFF same as removing the plug. remote will not response

traveltiger
Visitor

KDL-CX520 wrote:

The difference will be in timer mode , when using the side panel power switch, the timer will not power ON the TV , i didnot have time to try that , you may try and tell us.

Hi

Yes I have tried this and was surprised to find that when using the side panel switch it does respond to both recordings and reminders which have been set. From what I can see there is little difference between the two means of entering standby, except that one has an red light on the front panel. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to check the power consumption.

I would have expected the side panel switch to act like a mains switch but that doesn't appear to be the case.

TT

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to check the power consumption

I've not forgotten you traveltiger, if I get an aswer to your question I'll let you know..:smileyhappy: