Join now - be part of our community!

NWZ-B173F limited access from explorer

profile.country.el_GR.title
erelv75
Visitor

NWZ-B173F limited access from explorer

Although i can use windows media player to upload music, windows explorer allows me only to view the files and folders and delete them. I cant copy files from and to the device which would be far more usable. Due to this i cant copy setup.exe from the device to my pc in order to install the software. I use Windows XP Pro SP3 and I login with administrator privilages.

6 REPLIES 6
erelv75
Visitor

So am I the only one who has this problem? I cant actually use it as a usb stick to store other files. Windows explorer doesnt work for file copy and it doesnt show any error message. I tried it to another pc with winxp pro and it didnt work there to. It worked on a netbook running winxp home.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Convergence
Visitor

Hi this model is drag and drop compatible and therefore you should be able to put any file on to its memory, if your Windows does not see a Mass Storage Class device attached then check Device Manager to see if there are any errors with something connected

erelv75
Visitor

Windows recognized its as a portable device. It hasnt assigned any drive letter to it but i can still access it from windows explorer and browse the files it contains. When i drag files from it on the desktop it does nothing, when i drag a file from the desktop on it then a message pops like "Cannot copy file . device has stopped responding or has been disconnected" [ignore] [ignore all] [cancel]

Message was edited by: erelv75

profile.country.en_GB.title
Convergence
Visitor

Hi it sounds like you have a device or system issue, there should be a drive letter assigned to any Mass Storaeg Class device, even a Walkman

profile.country.UA.title
__Kote
New

Yes, yes, yes... It's not only you.

I have 1 seriously question. NO! VERY SERIOUSLY question!

How can I work with WALKMAN with file mannagers (FAR, NC, TC)? Without WMP and Explorer. OR I need to buy a normal MP3 player that can do this?

Windows don't recognize WALKMAN as FlashDrive... sooo... You can't even SAFELY eject that thing. Good, yes? But wait! Manual says:

If you turn on the computer, restart the computer, shut down the computer, or wake up the computer from Sleep or Hibernate status while your Walkman is connected to the computer, the Walkman may malfunction

What the hell is that thing!?

It's my birthday present... And it's very strange...

You want usability? Naaah!

What was they thinking??? Something like "Okay, we need very easy in use device for people, so we make device that will work ONLY on OS Windows and ONLY with WMP." Great idea! You have Mac? Naaaah. Internet says you can't connect WALKMAN in MAC). Bill Gates pays you for that?!

And that was first MINUS to that device. First and last (for that money)

*P.S. You see. Explorer recoznize player as Portable device, but not like Device, or Flash Drive, so ANY other programm (System Drive Utility, FAR, NC, Total Commander, Console) CAN'T connect to that Portable device, because they can't see it. May I ask Sony WHY?!

Not only my comp can't see this "awesome" device. Whole internet can't.

profile.country.UA.title
__Kote
New

SOLVED for file manager Total Commander. You need plugin called "wincefs", or you can use specific command in TC :"cm_OpenDrives ". That command opens your "computer folder" (like in explorer) and you can access your WALKMAN.